One of the main reasons that Toyota has gained the reputation for having the highest quality forklift in the industry is that the buying a Toyota forklift means you’re also getting a Toyota engine. Years of engineering Toyota’s world-renowned 4Y engine and all of our other engines means our internal combustion forklifts are unmatched.
How does a Toyota Forklift Engine Work?
Every Toyota IC forklift engine has the same basic functionality. Toyota Certified Technicians are trained in this process so they can more easily understand the exact point of need when maintenance is required. Here’s an inside look about how an IC forklift engine works.
An ignition battery and gear-driven starter forces the engine to “crank over,” starting the internal combustion process. The carburetor mixes a combustible, liquid fuel with air and injects it into the cylinders through a valve. Within the cylinder, the piston is attached to a rod, which in turn is attached to the crankshaft.
Mechanical energy is produced when the spark plug introduces a spark to the compressed fuel/air mixture, igniting the explosion. The explosion drives the piston and rod down in the cylinder. Because of the way the crankshaft is designed, it will convert the downward energy of the piston and rod to the mechanical energy (RPMs).
A series of these cylinders are connected to the crankshaft in the block. The block contains other mechanisms, like the cam shaft, which uses the RPMs to open and close the valves in precise timing sequence. This mechanical energy also drives the alternator or generator (found mounted to the engine and driven by a belt) which supplies current to the forklift’s electrical components. Additionally, the electricity produced in this way is used to drive the power steering and lift/tilt hydraulic pumps.
From Forklift Diesel Engines to Gasoline, Toyota Has Forklift Engine Fuel Types Covered
Internal combustion engines come in four main types, each categorized by the type of fuel they burn. Deciding between them depends on your specific forklift application and operational strategy
- Forklift gasoline engines use the same fuel as an automobile.
- Forklift Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) engines run on a gas that occurs naturally. LPG is commonly used for gas grills.
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) engines use the same fuel supplied to homes and businesses to power stoves, furnaces and other appliances.
- Diesel engines use diesel fuel, a lower grade fuel not as refined as gasoline and therefore, not as combustible.
Each type of fuel provides different advantages that will then impact the operation of the forklift. Consider the below list that shows which forklifts can come equipped with forklift diesel engines and CNG engines and ask your locally authorized Toyota dealer about what choosing one can mean for your operation.
Diesel Engine Options
Diesel Engine Only:
Knowing the Difference between Forklift Engines – The Toyota 4Y Engine and More
But which engine comes in each of our forklifts? The below guide will help you understand the differences between each Toyota forklift engine. But one thing that’s consistent across every forklift engine we produce? Expert engineering.
Four forklift engines are distributed across our internal combustion line
4Y Forklift Engine
Core IC Cushion | Core IC Pneumatic
1ZS Forklift Engine
Core IC Diesel Pneumatic
1FS Forklift Engine
Large IC Cushion | Box Car Special | Paper Roll Special | Mid IC Pneumatic | Large IC Pneumatic
1KD Forklift Engine
Mid IC Diesel Pneumatic | Large IC Diesel Pneumatic
But what exactly is the difference between these forklift engines that come in each of these models? Here’s a breakdown of each to help you choose the best available option.
Toyota 4Y Engine
The Toyota 4Y Engine was introduced in 1986, and it has been one of the industry’s longest lasting, most durable forklift engines ever since. The 4Y Engine is unique in that it is the cleanest engine in the industry, and its emission standards rival the emission standards of any competitive internal combustion engine.
- The Toyota 4Y Engine is extremely efficient, which makes it tolerant of extreme temperatures. From outdoor applications in Minnesota, to paper mills in Georgia, this engine runs smoothly.
- Due to its compact design, this engine works well in Toyota’s Core Products, such as the Core IC Cushion and Core IC Pneumatic.
- It is common to find Toyota Forklifts operating with 4Y Engines that have run for more than 30,000 hours and haven’t had a major overhaul.
Here’s deeper dive into how the Toyota 4Y Engine functions:
Toyota 1FS Engine
The Toyota 1FS Engine is based off the well-known 3Z diesel engine. It’s a robust powerhouse that can handle your toughest jobs.
- The 1FS is built with special electronics that all lead to better fuel efficiency and low emissions.
- Special measures have been taken (including a smaller engine footprint to help reduce the under-hood temperature, which leads to durability and longevity.
Toyota 1ZS Diesel Engine
The Toyota 1ZS Diesel Engine powers the Toyota Core IC Diesel Pneumatic, with less displacement than the previous model for lower emissions and fuel costs.
- The 1ZS is a 3-cylinder inline engine.
- The Toyota 1ZS requires no exhaust maintenance.
- This engine is a tough 53 horsepower with 128 lbs./ft. torque.
Toyota 1KD Diesel Engine
The 1KD Diesel Engine has been developed for the Toyota Mid and Large IC Diesel Pneumatic Forklifts. The 1KD is a four-cylinder engine that helps decrease fuel consumption and emissions.
- This engine is turbo charged which provides advantages including superior power and efficiency.
- With this engine model, horsepower and torque have significantly increased while fuel consumption has significantly decreased.
- The current 1KD engine has approximately 20 fewer internal moving parts than the previous model, making it easier to maintain and own.
Takeaway Reasons to Trust Toyota Forklift Engines
Need a few quick reasons that Toyota forklift engines lead the way? Here a few quick take aways:
Contact Us for more information about any Toyota forklift engine or to request a quote